Dip Education, B Arts, M Higher Education, M Commerce, PhD
Dean (Learning and Teaching)
Professor, Griffith Business School
- Economics of population ageing
- Public policy in relation to government spending and taxation
- Economics education and education economics
Current teaching areas
- Public Economics
- Stiglitz, J, Walsh, C, Gow, G, Guest, R, Richmond, W and Tanni, M. 2013 'Principles of Economics. First Australian Edition', Wiley.
- Guest, R 2010, Government in a Market Economy: Applications and Case Studies, Cengage Learning Australia.
- Creedy, J and Guest R 2009, Population, Ageing, Pensions and Growth, Edward Elgar.
- Creedy, J and Guest R 2007, New Developments in the Economics of Ageing', Edward Elgar
Refereed journal articles
- Guest, R. (2013) ‘Towards Learning Standards in Economics in Australia’, Economic Papers, 32, 1, 51-66
- Guest, R. and Makin, A. (2012) ‘Fiscal Stimulus: An Overlapping Generations Analysis’, Economic Issues, 17, 2, 1-25. Level B ranking.
- Guest, R. (2012) “The Case for Integrating Accounting, Finance and Economics in Teaching the GFC through a Problem-Based Learning approach”, Journal of Business Ethics Education, 9, Special Issue, 11-24
- Duhs, A. and Guest, R. (2012) “Economics Education in Australia”, in McGoldrick, K-M. (ed.) International Handbook on Teaching and Learning Economics.
- Parr, N and Guest, R 2011, 'The Contribution of Increases in Family Benefits to Australia's Early 21st Century Fertility Increase: An Empirical Analysis', Demographic Research, vol. 25, pp. 215-244.
- Guest, R and Stewart, H 2011, 'The Age Dispersional of Workers and Firm Productivity: A Survey Approach', Australian Journal of Labour Economics, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 59-75.
- Guest, R 2011, 'Population Ageing, Capital Intensity and Labour Productivity', Pacific Economic Review, vol. 15, no. 1, pp 87-115.
- Guest, R and Makin A 2011, 'In the Long Run the Multiplier is Dead: Lessons from a Simulation', Agenda, vol. 18, no. 1, pp 13-21.
- Guest, R 2010, 'Social Time Preference and the Optimal Carbon Price', Applied Economics Letters, 1-4, iFirst.
- Guest, R and Parr N 2010, 'The Effects of Family Benefits on Childbearing Decisions: A Household Optimising Approach Applied to Australia', The Economic Record, vol. 86, no. 275, pp. 609-619.
- Guest, R 2010, 'The Proposed Privatisation of Queensland Motorways', Economic Papers, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 23-33.
- Guest, R 2010, 'Population Ageing, Capital Intensity and Labour Productivity,' Pacific Economic Review, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 87-115.
- Guest, R 2010, 'Policy Options to Increase Retirement Saving in Australia: An Overview', Australian Economic Review, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 293-301.
- Guest, R and Swift, R 2010, 'Population Ageing and House Prices in Australia', Australian Economic Review, vol 43, no. 3, pp. 240-253.
- Guest, R and McDonald, I 2010, 'Other-Regarding Uzawa Preferences and Living Standard Catch-up', Pacific Economic Review, vol 15, no. 1, pp. 87-115.
- Guest, R 2010, 'Global Demographic Change, Carbon Emissions, The Optimal Carbon Price and Carbon Abatement', Global Economy Journal, vol. 10, no. 2, article 8.
- Guest, R 2010, 'The Economics of Sustainability in the Context of Climate Change: An Overview', Journal of World Business, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 326-335 .
- Guest, R 2009, 'Seeking the Elusive Town and Gown Dialogue: The Inaugural Australian Economic Forum', Agenda, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 107-114.
- Guest, R 2009, 'The Economics of Carbon Abatement: An Integrated Diagrammatic Framework', Economic Papers, vol 28, no. 2, pp. 93-101.
- Guest, R 2008, 'Evaluating Public Policy Responses to the Economic Burden of Population Ageing with Application to Australia', Journal of Population Research, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 99-118.
- Creedy, J and Guest, R 2008, 'Changes in the Taxation of Private Pensions: Macroeconomic and Welfare Effects', Journal of Policy Modeling, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 693-712.
- Guest, R and Swift, R 2008, 'Fertility, Income Inequality and Labour Productivity', Oxford Economic Papers, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 597-618.
- Creedy, J and Guest, R 2008, 'The labour supply and savings effects of superannuation tax changes', Australian Economic Papers, vol 47, no. 1, pp. 1-14.
- Creedy, J and Guest, R 2008, 'Discounting and the Time Preference Rate', Economic Record, vol. 84, no. 264, pp. 109-127.
- Guest, R 2008, 'Smoothing the Fiscal Costs of Population Ageing in Australia: Effects on Intergenerational Equity and Social Welfare', Economic Record, vol. 64, no. 265, pp. 177-192.
- Guest, R 2008, 'The 2020 Summit: Population, Sustainability, Climate Change and Water', Agenda, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 9-12.
- Creedy, J and Guest, R 2008, 'Population Ageing and Intertemporal Consumption Representative Agent versus Social Planner', Economic Modelling, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 485-498.
- Guest, R and McDonald, I 2007, 'Global GDP Shares in the 21st Century: an Equilibrium Approach', Economic Modelling, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 859-877.
- Davidson, S and Guest, R 2007, 'The Fiscal Consequences of Superannuation Reform', Agenda, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 5-15
- Guest, R 2007, 'Can OECD Countries Afford Demographic Change?', Australian Economic Review, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 1-16.
- Guest, R 2007, 'Innovations in Macroeconomic Modeling of Population Ageing', Economic Modeling, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 101-119.
- Guest, R 2007, 'The Baby Bonus: A Dubious Policy Initiative Policy', Centre for Independent Studies, Autumn issue, pp. 11-15.
- Buckridge, M and Guest, R 2007, 'A conversation about pedagogical responses to increased diversity in university classrooms', Higher Education Research and Development, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 133-146.
- Guest, R. and Makin, A ‘The Dynamic Effects of Fiscal Stimulus in a Two Sector Economy’, Review of Development Economics
- Rhode, N. and Guest, R 'Multidimensional Racial Inequality in the United States', Social Indicators Research.
- Guest, R. and Parr, N. 'Family Policy and Couple’s Labour Supply: An Empirical Assessment', Journal of Population Economics. Level A ranking. Acceptance letter, 7.5.12
- Stiglitz, J, Walsh, C, Gow, G, Guest, R, Richmond, W and Tanni, M 2013, 'Principles of Economics' first edition, Wiley.
- Prskawetz, A, Fent, T and Guest, R 2007, 'Workforce Aging and Labor Productivity. The role of supply and demand for labor in the G7', in Prskawetz, Bloom and Lutz (eds), Population Aging, Human Capital Accumulation, and Productivity Growth, A supplement to Population and Development Review, Population Council, New York.
- Guest, R 2007, 'Australia's Future Fund: A Social Welfare Analysis', in Ogawa, Clark and Mason (eds), Population Aging, International Transfers and the Macroeconomy, Edward Elgar.
- Guest, R 2007, 'Population Ageing, Housing Demand and House Prices in Australia: a Microsimulation Analysis', in A Harding et al. Population Ageing, Social Security and Taxation: Modelling our Future vol. 1, North Holland, Amsterdam.
- Guest, R and McDonald, I 2007, 'The Effect of World Fertility Scenarios on International Living Standards' reprinted in Creedy, and Guest (eds), New Developments in the Economics of Ageing, Edward Elgar.