PhD, M Laws (Advanced), B Laws (Hons)
- Intellectual property
- Indigenous intellectual property related issues
- Commercial law
Current teaching areas
- Business Law
- Corporations Law
Refereed journal articles
- Kariyawasam, K & Low, HY 2014, 'Teaching Business Law to Non-Law Students, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse ('CaLD') Students and Large Classes', Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 1-20.
- Kariyawasam, K & Samoroviski, L 2012, 'Legal issues in franchising in Australia: Is current regulatory environment for the franchise sector adequate?', Macquarie Journal of Business Law, vol. 9, pp. 142-151.
- Kariyawasam, K 2012, 'Legal status and patentability of human stem cells: A comparative analysis of Australia, the United States of America and Canada', Bio-science Law Review, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1-18.
- Kariyawasam, K 2012, 'Protection of indigenous artistic works against unauthorised reproduction: Has Australian consumer law been effective in stopping misleading and deceptive conduct in the indigenous art market?', International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law (IIC)-Max Planck Institute for Intellectual Property and Competition Law, pp. 532-566.
- Kariyawasam, K & Austin, A 2011, 'YouTube, internet file sharing and copyrights: The need to reform digital copyright laws', Contemporary Issues in Law, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 141-158.
- Kariyawasam, K 2011, 'AFACT claim against Australian ISP iiNet: Internet Copyright Infringement and Service Providers', European Intellectual Property Law Review, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 310-324.
- Kariyawasam, K 2010, 'Legal Liability, Intellectual Property and Genetically Modified Crops: Their Impact on World Agriculture', The Pacific Rim Law and Policy Journal, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 459-485.
- Kariyawasam, K 2009, 'The Contractual Legalities of Buying and Selling on eBay: Online Auctions and the Protection of Consumers', Journal of Law and Information Science, vol. 19, pp. 1-36.
- Kariyawasam, K 2009, 'Online Shopping and Consumer Protection: Legal issues and Challenges in Online Shopping: A Comparative Analysis of Australia and New Zealand', New Zealand Business Law Quarterly, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 178-195.
- Kariyawasam, K 2009, 'Terminator Technology as a Technological Means of Forcing Intellectual Property Rights in Plant Germplasm: Its Implications for World Agriculture', European Intellectual Property Review, vol. 37, pp. 37-44.
- Kariyawasam, K 2008, 'Protecting Biodiversity, Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property in the Pacific: Issues and Challenges', Asia Pacific Law Review, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 73-89.
- Kariyawasam, K 2008, 'The Growth and Development of E-Commerce: An Analysis of the Electronic Signature Law of Sri Lanka', Information and Communications Technology Law, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 51-64.
- Kariyawasam, K & Guy, S 2008, 'The Contractual Legalities of Buying and Selling on eBay: Online Auctions and the Protection of Consumers', Journal of Law and Information Science, vol. 19, pp. 1-36.
- Kariyawasam, K & Guy, S 2007, 'Intellectual Property Protection of Indigenous Knowledge: Implementing Initiatives at National and Regional Levels' Deakin Law Review, vol.12, no. 2, pp. 101-121.
- Guy, S, Kariyawasam, K & Hocking, B 2007, 'The Philosophical Ideals and Political Orientation of Thomas McCawley: A Social Democrat or a Pragmatist?' Bond Law Review, vol.19, no. 2, pp. 58-101.
- Kariyawasam, K 2007, 'Access to Biological Resources and Benefit Sharing: Exploring a Regional Mechanism to Implement the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) in SAARC Countries' European Intellectual Property Review, pp. 325-335.
- Adjunct Research Fellow, The Australian Centre for Intellectual Property in Agriculture (ACIPA).
- Associate Member, Socio Legal Research Centre, Griffith Law School.
- NATTI accredited translator from English to Singhalese.
- Attorney-at-law, the Supreme Court of Sri Lanka.