B Commerce (Hons), M Commerce, M Accounting Science, PhD
Professor, Griffith Business School
- Corporate governance
- Earnings quality and earnings management
- Executive compensations
- Corporate social responsibility reporting
- International accounting
Current teaching areas
- Financial Accounting
- Accounting Theory
Refereed journal articles
- Gyapong, E., R.M. Monem and F. Hu 2016, 'Do Women and Ethnic Minority Directors Influence Firm Value? Evidence from Post-Apartheid South Africa', Journal of Business Finance & Accounting. vol 43, no. 3-4, pp. 370-413.
- Muttaqin, B.A., R.M. Monem, A. Khan and N. Subramaniam 2015, 'Family firms, firm performance and political connections: Evidence from Bangladesh', Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics. vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 215-230.
- Muttaqin, BA, Monem, RM, Khan, A and Subramaniam, N 2015. 'Family firms, firm performance and political connections: Evidence from Bangladesh', Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics. vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 215-230.
- Monem, R & Ng, C 2013, 'Australia's 'two-strikes' rule and pay-performance link: Are shareholders judicious?', Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 237-254.
- Farshadfar, S & Monem, R 2013, 'The usefulness of operating cash flow and accrual components in improving the predictive ability of earnings: A re-examination and extension', Accounting and Finance, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1061-1082.
- Monem, RM 2013, 'Determinants of board structure: Evidence from Australia', Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 33-49.
- Farshadfar, S & Monem, RM 2013, 'Further evidence on the usefulness of cash flow components for forecasting future cash flows', The International Journal of Accounting, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 111-133.
- Houqe, MN, Monem, RM & van Zijjl, T 2012, 'Government quality, the adoption of IFRS and auditor choice: A country analysis', Advances in Accounting, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 307-316.
- Monem, RM 2011, 'The One.Tel collapse: Lessons for Corporate Governance', Australian Accounting Review, vol. 21, no. 4, pp 340-351.
- Kent, P & Monem, RM 2008, 'What drives TBL reporting: Threat to Legitimacy or Good Governance?', Australian Accounting Review, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 297-309.
- Kent, P, Monem, RM & Cuffe, G 2008, 'Droughts and big baths of Australian agricultural firms', Pacific Accounting Review, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 215-233.
- Monem, RM 2007, 'Does access to tutorial solutions enhance student performance? Evidence from an accounting course', Accounting & Finance, vol. 47, pp. 123-142.
- Bodle, K A, Cybinski, P and Monem, RM (Forthcoming). 'Effect of IFRS adoption on financial reporting quality: Evidence from bankruptcy prediction', Accounting Research Journal.
- Houqe, M.N., and R.M. Monem 2016, 'IFRS Adoption, Extent of Disclosure, and Perceived Corruption: A Cross-country Study', (forthcoming) The International Journal of Accounting.
- Houqe, M.N., and R.M. Monem, 2016, 'Reply to the Discussion of ‘IFRS Adoption, Extent of Disclosure, and Perceived Corruption: A Cross-country Study’, (forthcoming) The International Journal of Accounting.
Refereed conference papers
- Monem, R 2011, 'CEO Quality, Corporate Governance and CEO Compensation' paper presented at the 2011 Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics Symposium, Hong Kong.
- Monem, R 2010, 'Board and Audit Committee Structure in Australia', paper presented at the 22nd Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues, Gold Coast.
- Member, CPA Australia
- Member, Chartered Management Accountants (CMA) (Australia)
- Member, American Accounting Association
- Member, Accounting Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ)