B Commerce (Hons), M Commerce, M Accounting Science, PhD
Professor, Griffith Business School
Dr Reza Monem is a Professor of Accounting and has been widely published in esteemed academic journals, including Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, The International Journal of Accounting, Accounting & Finance, Pacific Basin Finance Journal, Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics, Advances in Accounting, Journal of International Accounting Auditing & Taxation, Australian Accounting Review, and Pacific Accounting Review. Reza and his research work have been featured in The Australian Financial Review, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, Canberra Times, Brisbane Times, Corporate Risk & Insurance Magazine, and many other regional newspapers. In 2016, Reza won the Griffith Business School Research Excellence Award (mid-career/senior researcher category). Reza is the Co-Editor of Accounting Research Journal.
In ResearchGate, 118 researchers follow Reza’s research work and his RG Score is 17.48 (11 October 2017). Reza is involved in PhD supervision and examination. He has supervised five PhD students to completion and is currently supervising another four students.
Reza has vast international education experience. He obtained first-class honours and master’s degrees in accounting at the University of Dhaka (Bangladesh), a master of accounting science degree at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and a PhD in accounting at the University of Queensland (Australia). Before joining Griffith, Reza taught at the University of Dhaka, National University of Singapore, and the University of Queensland.
Reza is a FCPA and a CA. He is an associate member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- Corporate governance
- Earnings quality and earnings management
- Executive compensations
- Corporate social responsibility reporting
- International accounting
Current teaching areas
- Financial Accounting
- Accounting Theory
Refereed journal articles
- Gyapong, E., R.M. Monem and F. Hu 2016, 'Do Women and Ethnic Minority Directors Influence Firm Value? Evidence from Post-Apartheid South Africa', Journal of Business Finance & Accounting. vol 43, no. 3-4, pp. 370-413.
- Muttaqin, B.A., R.M. Monem, A. Khan and N. Subramaniam 2015, 'Family firms, firm performance and political connections: Evidence from Bangladesh', Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics. vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 215-230.
- Muttaqin, BA, Monem, RM, Khan, A and Subramaniam, N 2015. 'Family firms, firm performance and political connections: Evidence from Bangladesh', Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics. vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 215-230.
- Monem, R & Ng, C 2013, 'Australia's 'two-strikes' rule and pay-performance link: Are shareholders judicious?', Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 237-254.
- Farshadfar, S & Monem, R 2013, 'The usefulness of operating cash flow and accrual components in improving the predictive ability of earnings: A re-examination and extension', Accounting and Finance, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1061-1082.
- Monem, RM 2013, 'Determinants of board structure: Evidence from Australia', Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 33-49.
- Farshadfar, S & Monem, RM 2013, 'Further evidence on the usefulness of cash flow components for forecasting future cash flows', The International Journal of Accounting, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 111-133.
- Houqe, MN, Monem, RM & van Zijjl, T 2012, 'Government quality, the adoption of IFRS and auditor choice: A country analysis', Advances in Accounting, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 307-316.
- Monem, RM 2011, 'The One.Tel collapse: Lessons for Corporate Governance', Australian Accounting Review, vol. 21, no. 4, pp 340-351.
- Kent, P & Monem, RM 2008, 'What drives TBL reporting: Threat to Legitimacy or Good Governance?', Australian Accounting Review, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 297-309.
- Kent, P, Monem, RM & Cuffe, G 2008, 'Droughts and big baths of Australian agricultural firms', Pacific Accounting Review, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 215-233.
- Monem, RM 2007, 'Does access to tutorial solutions enhance student performance? Evidence from an accounting course', Accounting & Finance, vol. 47, pp. 123-142.
- Bodle, K A, Cybinski, P and Monem, RM (Forthcoming). 'Effect of IFRS adoption on financial reporting quality: Evidence from bankruptcy prediction', Accounting Research Journal.
- Houqe, M.N., and R.M. Monem 2016, 'IFRS Adoption, Extent of Disclosure, and Perceived Corruption: A Cross-country Study', (forthcoming) The International Journal of Accounting.
- Houqe, M.N., and R.M. Monem, 2016, 'Reply to the Discussion of ‘IFRS Adoption, Extent of Disclosure, and Perceived Corruption: A Cross-country Study’, (forthcoming) The International Journal of Accounting.
Refereed conference papers
- Monem, R 2011, 'CEO Quality, Corporate Governance and CEO Compensation' paper presented at the 2011 Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics Symposium, Hong Kong.
- Monem, R 2010, 'Board and Audit Committee Structure in Australia', paper presented at the 22nd Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues, Gold Coast.
- Member, CPA Australia
- Member, Chartered Management Accountants (CMA) (Australia)
- Member, American Accounting Association
- Member, Accounting Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ)