B Arts (Hons), M Arts, PhD
Professor, Griffith Business School
Ciaran O’Faircheallaigh holds an MA and PhD in International Relations from the Australian National University. He is Director of the Centre for Governance and Public Policy's Program on Indigenous and environment governance and capacity. His research focuses on the interactions of large resource corporations with governments and communities, particularly Indigenous communities. He has published numerous articles and books in the fields of public policy, negotiation, impact assessment, corporate social responsibility, and indigenous studies. He is editor (with Saleem Ali) of Earth Matters: Indigenous Peoples, Extractive Industries and Corporate Social Responsibility (Greenleaf, 2008); and author with Ginger Gibson of IBA Community Toolkit: Negotiation and Implementation of Impact and Benefit Agreements (Gordon Foundation, 2010: www.ibacommunitytoolkit.ca) For two decades Professor O’Faircheallaigh has worked with Indigenous organisations and communities on negotiation of agreements with mining and oil and gas companies, and has acted as an adviser or negotiator for many of Australia’s leading Aboriginal organizations, including the Cape York, Northern, Central, Yamatji and Kimberley Land Councils. He is currently advising the Autonomous Bougainville Government on options in relation to the possible reopening of the Bougainville copper mine, and Shell on development of an Indigenous Strategy for Shell’s Upstream and Downstream businesses in Australia.
- Resource development and Indigenous peoples
- Policy evaluation
- Social impact assessment
Current teaching areas
- Comparative Public Policy
- Public Policy Processes
- Indigenous Politics and Health Policy and Management
Recent refereed journal articles
- C. O'Faircheallaigh, C 2015, 'ESD and community participation: the Strategic Assessment of the proposed Kimberley LNG Precinct, 2007-2013', Australasian Journal of Environmental Management, Vol 22(1): 46-61.
- O’Faircheallaigh C 2014, ‘Social Equity and Large Mining Projects: Voluntary Industry Initiatives, Public Regulation and Community Development Agreements’, Journal of Business Ethics, DOI 10.1007/s10551-014-2308-3
C. O'Faircheallaigh, ‘IR theory and domestic adoption of international norms’, International Politics, published online May 2013. Available at <http//dx.doi.org/10.1057/ip.2013.23>
- C. O'Faircheallaigh, ‘Extractive Industries and Indigenous peoples: A Changing Dynamic?’, Journal of Rural Studies, 30, 2013, 20-30.
- C.O'Faircheallaigh, 2012. ‘International Recognition of Indigenous Rights, Indigenous Control of Development and Domestic Political Mobilization’, Australian Journal of Political Science, Vol 47, No 4, pp. 1-15.
- C.O'Faircheallaigh,2012 ‘Community Development Agreements in the Mining Industry: An Emerging Global Phenomena’, Community Development, published online August 2012. Available at <http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15575330.2012.705872>
- O’Faircheallaigh, C. and Gibson, G., 2012, ‘Economic risk and mineral taxation on Indigenous lands’, Resources Policy, published online January 2012, doi:10.1016/j.resourpol.2011.12.00.
- O’Faircheallaigh, C. 2012 ‘Women’s Absence, Women’s Power: Indigenous Women and Mining Negotiations in Australia and Canada’, Ethnic and Racial Studies, published online February 2012. Available at <http//dx.doi.org/10.1080/01419870.2012.655752>.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2010, ‘Aboriginal – Mining Company Contractual Agreements in Australia and Canada: Implications for Political Autonomy and Community Development’, Canadian Journal of Development Studies, vol. XXX, nos. 1-2, pp. 69-86.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2010, ‘Public participation and environmental impact assessment: purposes, implications, and lessons for public policy making’, Environmental Impact Assessment Review, vol. 30, pp. 19-27.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2009, ‘Effectiveness in Social Impact Assessment: Aboriginal Peoples and Resource Development in Australia’, Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, vol. 27, no 2, pp. 95-110.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2008, 'Negotiating Protection of the Sacred? Aboriginal-Mining Company Agreements in Australia', Development and Change, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 25-51.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2007, 'Unreasonable and Extraordinary Constraints: Native Title, Markets and the Real Economy', Australian Indigenous Law Review, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 18-42.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C & Ali, S 2007, 'Extractive Industries, Environmental Performance and Corporate Social Responsibility', Greener Management International: The Journal of Corporate Environmental Strategy and Practice, vol. 52, pp. 5-16.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2007, 'Native Title and Mining Negotiations: A Seat at the Table, but No Guarantee of Success', Indigenous Law Bulletin, vol. 6, no. 26, pp. 18-20.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2007, 'Environmental Agreements, EIA follow-up and aboriginal participation in environmental management: The Canadian Experience', Environmental Impact Assessment Review, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 319-42.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2006, 'Mining Agreements and Aboriginal Economic Development in Australia and Canada', Journal of Aboriginal Economic Development, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 74-91.
- Corbett, A & O'Faircheallaigh, C 2006, 'Unmasking Native Title: The National Native Title Tribunal's Application of the NTA's Arbitration Provisions', University of Western Australia Law Review, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 153-177.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2006, 'Aborigines, Mining Companies and the State in Contemporary Australia: A New Political Economy or 'Business as Usual?', Australian Journal of Political Science, vol. 41, no. 1, March, pp. 1-22.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C & Corbett, T 2005, 'Indigenous Participation in Environmental Management of Mining Projects: The Role of Negotiated Agreements', Environmental Politics, vol. 14, no. 5, November, pp. 629-47.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2004, 'Denying Citizens their Rights? Indigenous People, Mining Payments and Service Provision', Australian Journal of Public Administration, vol. 63, no.2, pp. 42-50.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 'Native Title Agreement Making in the Mining Industry: Focusing on Outcomes for Indigenous Peoples, Land, Rights, Laws', Issues of Native Title, vol. 2, no. 25, pp. 1-12.
- O’Faircheallaigh, C. 2015, Negotiations in the Indigenous World: Aboriginal Peoples and Extractive Industry in Australia and Canada, Routledge, New York.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C & Gibson, G 2010, IBA Community Toolkit: Negotiation and Implementation of Impact and Benefit Agreements, Walter & Duncan Gordon Foundation, Ottawa, pp. 204, <www.ibacommunitytoolkit.ca>.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C & Ali, S 2008 (ed.), Earth Matters: Indigenous Peoples, the Extractive Industries and Corporate Social Responsibility, Greenleaf Publishing, Sheffield.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2006, Environmental Agreements in Canada: Aboriginal Participation, EIA Follow-Up and Environmental Management of Major Projects, Canadian Institute of Resources Law, University of Calgary.
- C. O'Faircheallaigh, 2015, 'Indigenous Rights, Political Mobilization and Indigenous Control over Development: Natural Gas Processing in Western Australia', in Berg-Nordlie, M. Saglie, J and Sullivan, A (eds) Indigenous Politics: Institutions, Representation, Mobilisation, ECPR Press, Colchester.
- C. O'Faircheallaigh, 2015, 'Native Title, Aboriginal Self-Government and Economic Participation', in S. Brennan, M. Davis, B. Edgeworth and L. Terrill (eds) Native Title from Mabo to Akiba: A Vehicle of Change and Empowerment?, Sydney, The Federation Press.
- C. O'Faircheallaigh, 2013, ‘Registered Native Title Bodies Corporate and mining agreements: capacities and structures’, in T. Bauman, L.M. Strelein and J.K. Weir (eds), Living with native title: the experiences of registered native title corporations, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra, 2013, pp. 275-91.
- C. O'Faircheallaigh, ‘Public policy processes for transition to a sustainable enterprise society: The case of extractive industries’, in M. McIntosh (ed) The Necessary Transition: the Journey Towards the Sustainable Enterprise Economy, Greenleaf Publishing, Sheffield, 2013, pp.198-212.
- C. O'Faircheallaigh and R. Howitt, 2012, ‘Better Engagement’, in A. Bond, A. Morrison-Sanders and Richie Howitt (eds), Sustainability Assessment: pluralism, practice and progress, Routledge, Abingdon and New York, pp. 199-215.
- C. O'Faircheallaigh, 2012, ‘Curse or opportunity? Mineral revenues, rent seeking and development in Aboriginal Australia’, in M. Langton and Judy Longbottom (eds), Community Futures, Legal Architecture: Foundations for Indigenous People in the Global Mining Boom, Routledge, Abingdon and New York, 2012, 45-58.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2011, Indigenous Women and Mining Agreement Negotiations: Australia and Canada, in K Lahiri-Dutt (ed), Gendering the Field: Towards Sustainable Livelihoods for Mining Communities, ANE E-Press, Canberra, 2011, 87-109.
- O’Faircheallaigh, C., 2011, ‘SIA and Indigenous Social Development’, in Vanclay, F. and Esteves, A.M. (eds) New Directions in Social Impact Assessment: Conceptual and Methodological Advances, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham (UK), pp138-153.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C, Gibson, G & MacDonald, A 2011, 'Cultural Considerations for Mining and Indigenous Communities', in P Darling (ed), Society of Mining Engineers Handbook, 3rd Edn, Denver, CO, pp. 685-704.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2010, ‘Aboriginal Investment Funds in Australia’, in Y Xu & G Bahgat (eds), The Political Economy of Sovereign Wealth Funds, Palgrave Macmillan, London, pp. 157-176.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2010, ‘CSR, the Mining Industry and Indigenous Peoples in Australia and Canada: From Cost and Risk Minimisation to Value Creation and Sustainable Development’, in C Louche, SO Idowu &WL Filho (eds), Innovative CSR: From Risk Management to Value Creation, Greenleaf Publishing, Sheffield, pp. 398-418.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2009, 'Public Policy Processes and Sustainability in the Minerals and Energy Industries’, in J Richards (ed), Mining, Society, and a Sustainable World, Springer, New York, pp. 437-67.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2009, ‘Social Justice, Aboriginal Leadership and Mineral Development in Australia’, in R Johnson III (ed), A 21st Century Approach To Teaching Social Justice: Educating for Both Advocacy & Action, Peter Lang Publishing Group, New York and Bern, pp. 207-230.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C & Ali, S 2008, 'Understanding Corporate - Aboriginal Agreements on Mineral Development', in C O'Faircheallaigh & S Ali (eds), Earth Matters: Indigenous Peoples, the Extractive Industries and Corporate Social Responsibility, Greenleaf Publishing, London, pp. 67-82.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2007, 'Corporate Social Responsibility and Globalisation', in G Curran & E Van Acker (eds), Globalising Government Business Relations, Pearson Longman, Frenchs Forest, pp. 309-332.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2004, 'Evaluating Agreements between Indigenous Peoples and Resource Developers', in M Langton, M Tehan, L Palmer & K Shain (eds), Honour Among Nations? Treaties and Agreements with Indigenous People, Melbourne University Press, pp.303-328.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2007, 'Of the unreasonableness of those extraordinary Restraints': Native Title, Market Power and the Resource Boom', Paper presented to a Symposium 'Mining, Petroleum, Oil and Gas Symposium: Indigenous participation in the resource and extraction industries', Broome, 9-10 July.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2007, 'Managing Financial benefits from Mining Projects in Australia', Presentation to a Forum 'Power, revenues and benefits: Ensuring fairness now and across generations', Fort Good Hope, Northwest Territories, 4-6 June.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2007, 'Understanding Corporate Indigenous Agreements on Mineral Development: A Conceptual Framework', Paper presented to the Annual Conference of the Society for Applied Anthropology, Tampa, Florida, 28 March-1 April.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2006, 'Making the Most of Impact and Benefit Agreement Payments: Lessons from Australia', Paper presented to the Conference Two Realities, One Community: Aboriginal Community Development with the Minerals Sector, Ottawa, 6-7 November.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2006, 'Impact and Benefit Agreements in Australia', Paper presented to the conference Achieving Objectives: A New Approach to Land Claims Agreements in Canada, Ottawa, 27-29 June.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2006, 'The Argyle Diamond Mine Agreement', Paper presented to the Native Title Conference 2006: Traditional and Change, Darwin, 24-26 May.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C. 2006, 'Negotiating Protection of the Sacred: Mining Agreements and Protection of Aboriginal Cultural Heritage in Australia', Paper presented to the Society for Applied Anthropology Conference, World on the Edge, Vancouver, 28 March-4 April.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2005, 'Creating Opportunities for Positive Engagement: Aboriginal People, Government and Resource Development in Australia', Presented to the International Conference on Engaging Communities, Brisbane, 12-17 August.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2003, 'Native Title and Agreement Making: Focusing on Outcomes for Indigenous Peoples', Presented to the Native Title Conference 2003, Native Title on the Ground, Alice Springs, 3-5 June.
- O’Faircheallaigh, C, 2011, Use and Management of Revenues from Indigenous - Mining Company Agreements: Theoretical Perspectives, ATNS Working Paper No 1, July, 1-32 http://www.atns.net.au/website/workingpapers.asp.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2003, Implementing Agreements between Indigenous People and Resource Developers in Australia and Canada (PDF 147k)2, Aboriginal Politics and Public Sector Management Research Paper No 12, Griffith University, Brisbane.
- O'Faircheallaigh, C 2003, Financial Models for Agreements between Indigenous Peoples and Mining Companies (PDF 295k)3, Aboriginal Politics and Public Sector Management Research Paper No 12, Griffith University, Brisbane.
Recent research grants
- 2012-14 Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (with C. Althaus) 'Indigenous Leadership in Bureaucracies' C$63,000.
- 2010-2013 Australian Research Council Linkage (with M.Langton et al) 'Poverty in the Midst of Plenty: Economic Empowerment for Indigenous Communities' $480,000.