Thematic research for capacity building
The Griffith University-South Pacific central banks collaborative research involves conceptualisation, framing, design and analysis of key economic research questions of relevance to policy making in the South Pacific region. The MoU partner central banks (Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste and Vanuatu) and Griffith University have jointly adopted the following broad research themes for the capacity building program:
- Macroeconomics: topics include but not limited to—monetary policy, foreign exchange, trade, economic growth, investments, exchange rate stability, debt sustainability
- Financial development and stability: topics include but not limited to—financial inclusion, financial sector development, financial markets, financial regulation and supervision, remittances, microfinance, SMEs, fintech, affordable housing, economic integration
- Economic resilience: topics include but not limited to—tourism, poverty and livelihood, climate change, agriculture, natural resources, cyber security, risk management, labour market, income distribution
Joint papers with South Pacific central banks (published)
- Prasad K., S. Karan, S. Alam, N. Jayawardena, and P. Sharma, 2020, Does finance matter for health in the PICs? A case study of Fiji, Reserve Bank of Fiji, Working Paper Series, JPRWP#14, Suva.
- Moli, C., Siri, G., Alam, S. and P. Sharma, 2020, Outreach, depth, efficiency and stability: Vanuatu on a global scale, Reserve Bank of Vanuatu, Working Paper Series, JPRWP#13, Port Vila.
- Tuisawau, M., A. Taito, M. Cama, J. Khakharov, L. Nguyen, and P. Sharma, 2020, Remittances vis-à-vis bank credit and Investments in Pacific Island Countries: The case of Fiji, Reserve Bank of Fiji, Working Paper Series, JPRWP#12, Suva.
- Kasingu, S., Sabok, G., Tuam, D., Hamua, J., Su, J.J. and P. Sharma, 2020, Determinants of private sector credit in Papua New Guinea, Bank of Papua New Guinea, Working Paper Series JPRWP#11, Port Moresby.
- Tumsok, M., Su, J.J. and T. Singh, 2019. Exchange rate volatility and trade in Papua New Guinea, Bank of Papua New Guinea, Working Paper Series JPRWP#10, Port Moresby.
- Takana, V.H., A.H. Bataanisia, T. Singh, J.J. Su and P. Sharma, 2019, Do inflation expectations matter for small open economies? Empirical evidence from the Solomon Islands Central Bank of Solomon Islands, Working Paper Series JPRWP#9, Honiara.
- Baniuri, A., A. Bill, T. West, P. Sharma, N. Jayawardena and T. Zhang, 2019, Inclusion inspires global financial agenda but how does it fare in the small Pacific Island Countries? The case of Vanuatu, Reserve Bank of Vanuatu, Working Paper Series JPRWP#8, Port Vila.
- Ofoi, M., T. Singh, J.J. Su and P. Sharma, 2019, Money, reserves and the transmission of monetary policy: Does money multiplier hold in Pacific Island countries? The case of Papua New Guinea, Bank of Papua New Guinea, Working Paper Series JPRWP#7, Port Moresby.
- Cagilaba, S., K. Ranadi, V. Wong, N. Jayawardena and P. Sharma, 2019, Financial integration in open, small economies of the South Pacific: Extent, consequences and policy implications, Reserve Bank of Fiji, Working Paper Series JPRWP#6, Suva.
- Prasad, K., S. Alam, and P. Sharma, 2018, Finance and socio-economic development in Fiji: Some stylized facts, Reserve Bank of Fiji, Working Paper Series, JPRWP#5, Suva.
- Sharma, P., S. Manoa, S. Taleniwesi, S. Nghiem and N. Kabir, 2016, Technical efficiency and total factor productivity of banks in Fiji: empirical analysis and policy implications, Reserve Bank of Fiji, Working Paper Series, JPRWP#4, Suva.
- Hunt, K., C. Rokoua, C. Miller, P. Werekoro, and P. Sharma, 2016, Developing Fiji’s microfinance sector: some policy implications, Reserve Bank of Fiji, Working Paper Series, JPRWP#3, Suva.
- Su, J. J., L. Cocker, D. Delana and P. Sharma, 2016, Trilemma or quadrilemma: the case of a PIC, Reserve Bank of Fiji, Working Paper Series, JPRWP#2, Suva.
- Sharma, P., E. Roca, V. Dakai, and S. Manoa, 2014. An assessment of Fiji’s banking system on a global scale, 2000-2011, Reserve Bank of Fiji, Working Paper Series, JPRWP#1, Suva.
Working papers in progress
Banco Central de Timor Leste
- Borges, R. SMEs and FI in Timor
- Conceicao, O. and B. Guterres SMEs and remittances in Timor
- Costa, M. and O. Reis Role of government expenditure on consumption in Timor
Bank of Papua New Guinea
- Aipi, B. SMEs—impact of credit guarantee on access to Finance in PNG
- Kasingu, S. SMEs—factors affecting ease of doing business in PNG
- Kasingu, S. Real interest rate and housing market prices in PNG
- Sabok, G. Assessment of trade and investment policy in PNG
Central Bank of Solomon Islands
- Pita, M., A. H. Bataanisia and P. Sharma Depth and efficiency of SI financial sector on a global scale
- Baragamu, L., M. Pita, L. Suti, S. Nghiem, P. Sharma Banking efficiency in Solomon Islands
- Loea, M., J. Boe, L. Nguyen, P. Sharma Demand side obstacles to MSME financing in Solomon Islands
- Boe, J. and D. Ereia SMEs—firm growth in Solomon Islands
- Bataanisia, A. H. and L. Baragamu Credit constraints of SMEs in Solomon Island
Reserve Bank of Fiji
- Wainiqolo, I., S. Kirpal, and N. Jayawardena Interest rates and housing affordability in Fiji
- Narain, D., K. Rogoiruwai, T. Singh Trade liberalisation and poverty in Pacific Islands: A historical perspective
- Singh, S. SMEs—role of in financial stability and inclusion
- Hesaia, J., S. Vosamacala and K. Ranadi SMEs—a stocktake of policies in PICs
- Nabou, S. and E. Munivai SMEs–digital payment channels: opportunities and challenges
- Cirikisuva, S. and R. Hassan SMEs—access to finance
- Hesaia, J., S. Vosamacala and K. Ranadi Determinants of bank lending in Fiji
- Krishna, V. and N. Gavidi The economic effects of natural disasters on Fiji’s growth and fiscal balances
- Kumar, V., S. Kirpal and K. Prasad Determinants of Fiji’s domestic exports
- Latu Sera Kaukilakeba Exploring determinants of green finance in small island economies – a case study of Fiji
Reserve Bank of Vanuatu
- Ragon, L., P. Sharma, and J. J. Su Determinants of private sector growth in Vanuatu
- Siri, G., M. Mera, S. Nghiem, P. Sharma Banking efficiency in Vanuatu
- Sharma, P., S. Manoa, S. Taleniwesi, S. Nghiem, 2019. Technical efficiency of banking institutions in a Pacific Island Country: A distance function stochastic frontier analysis, Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy DOI:10.1080/13547860.2018.1528661
- Su, J. J., L. Cocker, D. Delana and P. Sharma, 2018. A first look at the trilemma vis-à-vis quadrilemma monetary policy stance in a Pacific Island country context, Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies, 21(1) (March), DOI: 10.1142/S0219091518500029