Why host an intern?
Global Internships deliver value to host organisations by filling gaps in personnel and projects; harnessing fresh ideas and new perspectives; staying in touch with current trends, methods and approaches; and identifying and securing enthusiastic, talented students early on for graduate and other positions.
Interns are capable of assisting with projects and tasks across various disciplines in business, including: accounting, finance and economics; employment relations and human resources; government and international relations; international business; marketing; tourism, sport and hotel management.
How are interns selected?
Students will complete specific course prerequisites and a criteria-based selection process will be undertaken and include:
- completion of two full years full-time equivalent study in an undergraduate degree or half way through a postgraduate degree
- achieving a minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of at least 5 (on a 7-point scale), i.e. credit-distinction average
- successfully engaging in a face-to-face interview with staff/academic members of Griffith Asia Institute (GAI).
Once a global internship offer from a host organisation is approved, GAI will recommend an appropriate student for placement. The organisation will then receive a copy of the student's resume and academic transcript, and may interview the student before making a final decision.
What the industry host provides
- A description of the project or tasks via email.
- An appropriate workspace for the global intern; resources and consumables as needed; and appropriate supervision for the duration of the internship.
- Feedback on your intern’s performance at the end of the placement (a pro-forma will be provided).
Terms and conditions
- Students undertaking a global internship are unpaid.
- Griffith University provides a standard WIL placement agreement form that is signed by the student, host organisation and Griffith University. The form covers non-disclosure and assigns all intellectual property to the host organisation.
- Students are covered by Griffith University insurance for the duration of the global internship.
We were delighted to participate in the Griffith Business School Global Internship Program for the first time in 2018. Our global intern, Warren Maynard, did a phenomenal job and was a great asset to our organisation.
His three key strengths were his leadership, helpfulness, and adaptability. As a Chinese Wealth Management Firm, we adapt quickly and Warren consistently maintained pace; exhibiting a strong work ethic and conducting himself in a professional manner.China is a challenging, yet rewarding country and Mr Warren demonstrated an interest and willingness to think outside the box to complete the job at hand.
The global internship program was an enriching experience for all those involved and we have no hesitation in recommending other organisations to host a Griffith student.
Michael J Beda, Director
Shanghai, China 2018
Royale International has had the pleasure of hosting some very high calibre students from Griffith over the last couple of years and we are keen to continue taking them on. All students have fitted in well with the Royale team and developed great relationships. They have been reliable, dependable and hard working as well as polite, respectful and genuinely interested in the business.
In particular, Christina was a superstar and staff are still in touch, so it goes to show the great connection we have had with the global interns.
To maximise exposure and student benefit, we are mindful to balance tasks with site visits and personal insights into the running of a large corporate. If there was potential to host Griffith global interns all year-round, we would jump at the opportunity!
Hong Kong, China 2018
It was a great pleasure to host Laura as our Griffith intern. Laura's interpersonal communication skills are excellent, from active listening and understanding, through to effective networking and building positive relationships. She shows a passion to complete tasks to a very high standard and always goes above and beyond what is required to deliver high quality and professional results.
Laura displayed the ability to learn and adapt to new situations and we very much appreciate her hard work. She was an asset to the team and we look forward to hosting additional talented Griffith interns just like Laura.
Thank-you for the opportunity to participate.
Tokyo, Japan 2018