Putting theory into practice
A true understanding of creative pursuits comes from putting theory into practice. At QCA, you’ll have the opportunity to work on projects for real clients in one of our four commercial studios:
- LiveWorm: visual communication design studio
- LiveImage: professional photography services
- LiveSpace: a new studio for socially and environmentally responsible design, focusing on interior environments and product development
- LiveLab: film, animation and games projects, led by BAFTA award winning Creative Director Richard Fabb.
Build your portfolio and make critical contacts and networks through our work-integrated learning programs and key industry links.
QCA Enterprise Tracks
Design students gain valuable work-integrated-learning experience interacting with live design projects in a mentored studio environment. With studios based in South Bank and the Gold Coast, LiveWorm has been providing a successful bridge between the Queensland College of Art and the design industry for over thirty years. LiveWorm is one of the longest running design studios in Australia, and a flagship experience for multiple generations of QCA design graduates.
Liveworm South Bank
The LiveWorm South Bank studio is located within the Queensland College of Art, Griffith University in the heart of Brisbane’s Cultural Precinct, South Bank.
Students are supervised and directed by highly qualified and experienced professionals—ensuring fresh perspectives and quality outcomes.
Students also benefit from valuable hands-on experience as they prepare to graduate and move into the design industry.
1. Griffith University Student Services cook book | 2. POP Gallery - Rebranding the postgraduate POP Gallery for Griffith University’s QCA Galleries | 3. From the Ground Up – Collaborating with Griffith Review and the Policy Innovation Hub to create an interactive story around the good work of Substation 33 | 4. The Australian Cycle Alliance - Rebranding a rapidly browning grass-roots cycling advocacy group.
Contact Liveworm South Bank to find out more about our services, or to discuss your design needs.
Liveworm Gold Coast
The LiveWorm Gold Coast studio is located on the Queensland College of Art, Griffith University Gold Coast campus.
The team comprises a rotating collection of industry placement students working to solve real world design challenges.
Our designers are the future experts of their field and enjoy playing a part in the development of progressive, innovative and quality design.
1. Getamungstit redesign: the magazine includes a variety of articles created for Griffith University students on the Gold Coast campus | 2. Brochure created for Griffith’s Student Services department | 3. Raw Data exhibition catalogue | 4. Brochure created for Griffith’s Arts Education and Law group.
Contact Liveworm Gold Coast to find out more about our services, or to discuss your design needs.
LiveImage is the commercial element of the Queensland College of Art Photography Department offering a unique suite of cost effective professional services including: photographic-quality printing, colour management services, and photo retouching.
Contact LiveImage to find out more about our services, or to discuss your photographic and image needs.
LiveSpace Studio for socially and environmentally responsible design is a vibrant, collaborative design studio based within the Queensland College of Art.
LiveSpace projects provide opportunities for students to work on cross-disciplinary design projects within the broader community. By working closely with–and learning from–other students, lecturers, consultants, trade and industry representatives, and community members from a broad range of backgrounds, students are able to gain insight into the complexity of the whole of design process.
LiveSpace projects have a strong focus upon materials reuse, repurposing, retrofitting and design for disassembly and modification, providing students with an advanced level of knowledge in sustainable design that will equip them with essential skills in a rapidly changing world.
1. Collaboration with Ability Enterprises, which staffs the Toowoomba tips, to develop prototype furniture using salvaged scrap materials | 2. Students from LiveSpace were set a team challenge of repurposing discarded objects and building materials sourced from Brisbane’s Reverse Garbage store | 3. Students developed concepts for street façade restoration and improved streetscaping for the regional town of Charleville in Queensland | 4. E-waste [RE]booted -rethink, repurpose, repair, reuse, re-educate exhibition at the Queensland Museum and Sciencentre.
LiveLab is the commercial arm of Griffith Film School.
Operating as an in-house production studio – the only one of its kind in Australia – LiveLab offers students a unique opportunity to work in industry whilst studying.
Our emerging filmmakers solve creative screen-based challenges for clients, while gaining valuable work-integrated learning experiences.
Image: Still from Living with Autism – Ky's Story, a short film made by LiveLab with Hugo Weaving to increase understanding of autism. Produced in partnership with Sentis and Gold Coast Health.
Selection of projects from LiveLab
A Gift for the Lonely Heart
LiveLab created this Christmas short film for Children's Health Queensland & Lady Cilento Children's Hospital.
RSPCA cinema advert
A group of six LiveLab students produced this ‘Adopt for Life’ cinema advertising campaign for RSPCA Queensland.
Surf Lifesaving Club Promo
Promotional video for the Point Lookout Surf Lifesaving Club on North Stradbroke Island.