The Vision of Griffith University is to be one of the most influential universities in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region. We will achieve this vision through delivery on our mission "to engage in outstanding scholarship that makes a major contribution to society and to produce ground breaking research". In pursuit of that mission, the University is committed to:
- Rigorous standards of scholarship
- Positively influencing our communities through our teaching, research and scholarly activities
- Recognising our location in Asia and deepening our engagement with the region
- Bringing disciplines together to address the key issues of our time
- Promoting the respect of individual rights and ethical standards
- Participatory decision-making and problem solving
- Contributing to a robust, equitable and environmentally sustainable society
- Recognising and valuing diversity
- Recognising the unique place of First Peoples in Australian history and culture and enabling their continued contribution to the nation.
The capacity to meet these commitments is heavily invested in the strength and quality of the research fabric of the University, and this Research Plan identifies the goals, targets and strategies through which we will deliver research of high standard and relevance.
The University now appears in the top 500 in all major rankings of the world’s universities, is performing consistently as one of the top ten Australian Universities in publication outputs and is just outside the top ten in research income. ERA 2012 resulted in a national ranking (number of Fields of Research) at the broad classification level of 11th, but indicated a greater spread of quality at the finer level of research classification. Consolidating strengths while at the same time lifting the average quality of research across the whole research portfolio remain key themes of the Research Plan 2013-2017. In execution of the Plan, the University seeks to manage the fine balance between the need for long-term strategic planning and development, and the requirement to be responsive to the more proximate drivers of research assessment and accountability.
The University's 2011-2013 Research Plan carried a key message: "research and research training of the highest quality is an integral part of the character of all top universities, and Griffith is committed to supporting staff, students and stakeholders in achieving that outcome for the communities we serve". This message resonates even more strongly for the term of the current Plan and remains a central commitment for Griffith University.
Senior Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research)