B Arts (Hons), PhD
Research Project Officer
Dr Díaz is a NAATI Accredited English-Spanish translator and holds an Acreditación de Examinadores DELE [Accredited Examiner of the Diploma of Spanish as a Foreign Language] Levels A1 and A2 (CEFR) from Instituto Cervantes in Sydney.
- Intercultural communication
- Languages and culture pedagogies
- Blended learning in the language teaching context
Current teaching areas
- Spanish studies
- Italian studies
- Applied Linguistics
Research supervision areasAdriana's research is mainly concerned with the effect of formal instruction on the development of intercultural competence in a foreign language, specifically in the context of adult education. Adriana is interested in gaining a better understanding of the processes involved in culture learning and teaching as well as the variables affecting the implementation of intercultural teaching methodologies. Other interests include: second language acquisition, teachers' and learners' beliefs, transformative learning in adult education and teachers' professional development.
- 2012. Recipient of a Highly Commended Certificate for the Griffith University Award for Excellence in Teaching (Cultural Inclusiveness Award Category).
- 2011. Recipient of the Griffith University Group Learning and Teaching Citation (Arts Education and Law).
- 2009. Recipient of a Highly Commended Certificate for the Griffith Award for Excellence in Teaching (Cultural Inclusiveness Award Category).
- Forthcoming 2013. Developing Critical Languaculture Pedagogies in Higher Education: Theory and Practice. Bristol: Multilingual Matters – Languages for Intercultural Communication and Education Series. (Download advanced information - PDF 191k)
- 2008. Liddicoat, A. J. & Díaz, A. 'Engaging with diversity: Intercultural policies and the education of immigrant children in Italy'. Intercultural Education, Vol 19, No 2.
- 2013. (Forthcoming). “Argentinians in Queensland”. In M. Brändle (ed.) Multicultural Qld. Brisbane: Department of the Premier and Cabinet.
- 2013. [Book Review] Echenberg, E. N. (2011) “Presente – Web-based oral presentations”. Journal of the Modern Language Teachers Association of Queensland (MLTAQ). ISSN: 1327-7782. Vol. 156 (April), 21-22 .
- 2012. [Article Review] Antón, M. (2011) A review of recent research (2000-2008) on applied linguistics and language teaching with specific reference to L2 spanish. Language Teaching, Vol. 44, Number 1, pp. 78-112. Revista de Revistas - Boletín de ASELE (Asociación para la Enseñanza del Español como Lengua Extranjera) [Bulletin of the Association of Spanish as a Foreign Language Teaching]. ISSN: 1135-7002. Vol. 46 (May), 80-81.
- 2011. “Intercultural Language Teaching and Learning: Is it possible to bridge the gap between policy and practice?” Journal of the Modern Language Teachers Association of Queensland (MLTAQ). ISSN: 1327-7782. Vol. 153 (September), 30-36.
- 2012. Díaz, A. Intercultural competence through language education in Australian higher education: Mission (im)possible? In J. Hajek, C. Nettelbeck & A. Woods (Eds.), The Next Step: Introducing the Languages and Cultures Network for Australian Universities: Selected Proceedings of LCNAU’s Inaugural Colloquium, Melbourne, September 26-28, 2011 (pp. 285-298). Australia: LCNAU.
- 2013. (To be presented) “Enhancing Spanish language assessment practices through cross-institutional collaboration”. In collaboration with Dr Hugo Hortiguera (GU-LAL) and Dr Marcia Espinoza Vera from the School of Languages and Comparative Cultures (UQ). At the Languages and Cultures Network for Australian Universities (LCNAU) Biennial Colloquium, ANU, Canberra, 3-5 July.
- 2012. “Intercultural graduate attributes and language learning in Australian higher education” at the 11th IALIC International Conference – Intercultural Dialogue: Current Challenges/Future Directions. Durham University, Durham, United Kingdom. 30 Nov - 2 Dec.
- 2012. “Developing intercultural language teaching resources: Challenges and opportunities”. At the 5th Centre for Language Studies International Conference - CLaSIC 2012 - Culture in Foreign Language Learning: Framing and Reframing the Issue. National University of Singapore, Singapore. 6-8 Dec.
- 2012. “PowerPoint as a digital interface in the Spanish language classroom”. In collaboration with Dr. Hugo Hortiguera. At the Fifth Symposium of Teachers of Spanish in Queensland. The Modern Language Teachers’ Association of Queensland. University of Queensland. Brisbane. Australia. 2-3 Nov.
- 2012. “Rethinking the rules of student engagement: Strategies for the language classroom”. At the Student Lifecycle engagement and Retention Symposium, Griffith University, GIHE. Thursday 4 June.
- 2012. “Towards and integrated and sustainable language-and-culture pedagogy”. MLTAQ-Gold Coast Branch PD Session. Thursday 3 May.
- 2011. “Reconceptualising the ultimate goal of languages education: Case Studies in Australian University Language Programs” - At the Applied Linguistics Association of Australia (ALAA) and the Applied Linguistics Association of New Zealand (ALANZ) Conference – Applied Linguistics as a Meeting Place – Canberra, 30 Nov - 2 Dec.
- 2011. “Stumbling blocks in the path of meeting the twin goals of linguistic proficiency and cultural competency” - At the Languages and Cultures Network for Australian Universities (LCNAU) Colloquium – The Next Step: Introducing the LCNAU –Melbourne, September 26-28.
- 2011. “Intercultural Language Teaching and Learning: Is it possible to bridge the gap between Policy and Practice?” - At the Language Teachers’ Forum – Griffith University’s School of Languages and Linguistics (LAL) and the Modern Language Teachers’ Association of Queensland – Brisbane 10 August.
- 2008. “Problematising Cultural Goals in FL Teaching - Intercultural Competence vs. Intercultural Awareness” - At the Work-in-Progress Session at the Launch of the Griffith Working Papers in Pragmatics and Intercultural Communication, GU - School of Languages and Linguistics, June 10.
- 2008. “Developing Intercultural Awareness & Skills Through Foreign Language Education - Case Studies in Australian Higher Education” - At the Third International Symposium on Intercultural Communication and Pragmatics. Stellenbosch, South Africa, 4-16 January.
- 2007. “La dimensione interculturale nell’insegnamento dell’italiano LS in Australia” At the Professional Development Session for Italian Teachers at DANTE ALIGHIERI SOCIETY – Brisbane, 26 October.
- 2007. “IcLL - Intercultural Language Learning Caveats & Challenges for FL Teaching in Higher Education” - At Sharing the Experience 2007 - Developing Intercultural and Linguistic Literacy - A Teaching and Learning workshop - University of Queensland, 25 September.
- 2005. “Intercultural Education in Italy: Towards a model of Positive Integration?” - At the Third Biennal ACIS Conference - “L’Italia globale: le altre italie e l’Italia altrove” Treviso, Italy, 30 June-2 July.
- 2004. “Intercultural Education in the Multicultural Classroom: The Italian Experience” - At the 29th ALAA Annual Conference -Adelaide 15-17 July.
- 2013 (Upcoming). In collaboration with Dr Hugo Hortiguera. “Démosle la vuelta al aula” [“Let’s Flip the Classroom”], online professional development workshop for the languages teachers from the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, Universidad de Buenos Aires. Thursday 18 July, 2013.
- 2013. “Next Step: Writing with Coherence and Cohesion”. In collaboration with Dr Jenny Tannoch-Bland from the Academic Services Unit, Griffith University. At the Griffith University Eskitis Institute Writing Retreat, Friday 15 March, 2013, RACV Resort, Noosa.
- 2013. Díaz, A. “Demystifying the language and culture nexus: Applications for the classroom”. Published by the Association of Independent Schools of Queensland (AISQ).
- 2004. Liddicoat, A. J. & Díaz, A. “Report on the NALSAS strategy and Asian Languages Programs in Queensland independent schools”. Published by the Association of Independent Schools of Queensland (AISQ).
- 2013. The Language and Culture Nexus (Two-day Professional Development Series). Commissioned by the Association of Independent School of Queensland.
- 2012. “Demystifying the language and culture nexus - Application for the classroom” (Three-day Professional Development Series). Commissioned by the Association of Independent School of Queensland.
- June 2011 & 2012 – “Action Research for Languages Teachers” (Professional Development Workshop and assistance with preparation of BCE Research/Grant applications. Commissioned by the Brisbane Catholic Education (BCE) - Languages Teaching & Learning Projects.