BSc (Hons) , MB, ChB, MRCP(UK), PhD, CCST(Neurology), FRACP
Professor and Head of School
Professor in Neurology
Coordinator Years 3 & 4
Gold Coast Hospital - Staff Specialist in Neurology
Professor Broadley undertook his undergraduate medical degree at University of Manchester, United Kingdom after completing a BSc in experimental immunology and oncology. Simon then completed his PhD at University of Cambridge "The genetic analysis of a complex trait: Multiple Sclerosis".
Simon is currently a staff specialist with the Gold Coast Hospital. He provides specialist services in Neurology.
Professor Broadley's principal area of research is genetics and Multiple Sclerosis. He currently has active projects looking at "Identification of genes involved in susceptibility to autoimmune disorders", "Migraine in Multiple Sclerosis", "Impact of community experience on social attitudes in medical students", "ANZgene Study", AusLong Study", and "ANZ NMO Collaborative".
Simon currently has a number of HDR students and if you would like to work with Simon, please contact him.
Conflict of interest declaration
Refereed journal articles
- Meenakshi M, Arnold C, Broadley SA (2012) The value of [18F]-fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography/CT scanning in the diagnosis of neurosarcoidosis. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 19(10):1461-1462.
- O’Gorman C, Lin R, Stankovich J, Broadley SA (2012) Modelling Genetic Susceptibility to Multiple Sclerosis with Family Data. Neuroepidemiology. 40(1):1-12.
- Buzzard KA, Broadley SA, Butzkueven H (2012) What Do Effective Treatments for Multiple Sclerosis Tell Us about the Molecular Mechanisms Involved in Pathogenesis? International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 13(10):12665-12709.
- Bukhari W, Barnett MH, Prain K, Broadley SA (2012) Molecular pathogenesis of neuromyelitis optica. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 13(10):12970-12993.
- Fitzpatrick E, Hohl N, Silburn P, O'Gorman C, Broadley SA (2012) Case-control study of blink rate in Parkinson's disease under different conditions. Journal of Neurology. 259(4):739-744.
- Patsopoulos NA; Bayer Pharma MS Genetics Working Group; Steering Committees of Studies Evaluating IFNß-1b and a CCR1-Antagonist; ANZgene Consortium; GeneMSA; International Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium, de Bakker PI, Esposito F, Reischl J, Lehr S, Bauer D, Heubach J, Sandbrink R, Pohl C, Edan G, Kappos L, Miller D, Montalbán J, Polman CH, Freedman MS, Hartung HP, Arnason BG, Comi G, Cook S, Filippi M, Goodin DS, Jeffery D, O'Connor P, Ebers GC, Langdon D, Reder AT, Traboulsee A, Zipp F, Schimrigk S, Hillert J, Bahlo M, Booth DR, Broadley S, Brown MA, Browning BL, Browning SR, Butzkueven H, Carroll WM, Chapman C, Foote SJ, Griffiths L, Kermode AG, Kilpatrick TJ, Lechner-Scott J, Marriott M, Mason D, Moscato P, Heard RN, Pender MP, Perreau VM, Perera D, Rubio JP, Scott RJ, Slee M, Stankovich J, Stewart GJ, Taylor BV, Tubridy N, Willoughby E, Wiley J, Matthews P, Boneschi FM, Compston A, Haines J, Hauser SL, McCauley J, Ivinson A, Oksenberg JR, Pericak-Vance M, Sawcer SJ, De Jager PL, Hafler DA (2011) Genome-wide meta-analysis identifies novel multiple sclerosis susceptibility loci. Annals of Neurology 70(6);897-912.
- O'Gorman C, Freeman S, Taylor BV, Butzkueven H; Australian and New Zealand MS Genetics Consortium (ANZgene), Broadley SA (2011) Familial recurrence risks for multiple sclerosis in Australia. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. 82(12);1351-1354.
- Ritchie ME, Liu R, Carvalho BS; Australia and New Zealand Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (ANZgene), Irizarry RA (2011) Comparing genotyping algorithms for Illumina's Infinium whole-genome SNP BeadChips. BMC Bioinformatics; 8;12:68.
- Ma GZ, Stankovich J; Australia and New Zealand Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (ANZgene), Kilpatrick TJ, Binder MD, Field J (2011) Polymorphisms in the receptor tyrosine kinase MERTK gene are associated with multiple sclerosis susceptibility. PLoS One 8;6(2); e16964.
- Sabapathy NM, Minahan CL, Turner GT, Broadley SA (2011) Comparing endurance- and resistance-exercise training in people with multiple sclerosis: a randomized pilot study. Clinical Rehabilitation 25(1);14-24.
- Cox MB, Cairns MJ, Gandhi KS, Carroll AP, Moscovis S, Stewart GJ, Broadley S, Scott RJ, Booth DR, Lechner-Scott J, ANZgene Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (2010) MicroRNAs miR-17 and miR-20a Inhibit T Cell Activation Genes and Are Under-Expressed in MS Whole Blood. PLoS One 5(8);1-7.
- Riveros C, Mellor D, Gandhi KS, McKay FC, Cox MB, Berretta R, Vaezpour SY, Inostroza-Ponta M, Broadley S, Heard RN, Vucic S, Stewart GJ, Williams DW, Scott RJ, Lechner-Scott J, Booth DR, Moscato P, for the ANZgene Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (2010) A Transcription Factor Map as Revealed by a Genome-Wide Gene Expression Analysis of Whole-Blood mRNA Transcriptome in Multiple Sclerosis. PLoS One 5(12);1-28.
- Bahlo M, Stankovich J, Danoy P, Hickey PF, Taylor BV, Browning SR; Australian and New Zealand Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (ANZgene) (inc Broadley S), Brown MA, Rubio JP (2010) Saliva-derived DNA performs well in large-scale, high-density single-nucleotide polymorphism microarray studies. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 19(3);794-798.
- Field J, Browning SR, Johnson LJ, Danoy P, Varney MD, Tait BD, Gandhi KS, Charlesworth JC, Heard RN; Australia and New Zealand Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (inc Griffiths L, Broadley S), Stewart GJ, Kilpatrick TJ, Foote SJ, Bahlo M, Butzkueven H, Wiley J, Booth DR, Taylor BV, Brown MA, Rubio JP, Stankovich J (2010) A polymorphism in the HLA-DPB1 gene is associated with susceptibility to multiple sclerosis. PLoS One 5(10) e13454.
- Williams M, Bazina R, Tan L, Rice H, Broadley S (2010) Microvascular decompression of the trigeminal nerve in the treatment of SUNCT and SUNA. Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 81:992-996.
- Jensen C, Stankovich J, Van der Walt A, Bahlo M, Taylor B, van der Mei I, Foote S, Kilpatrick T, Johnson L, Wilkins E, Field J, Danoy P, Brown M, Australia and New Zealand Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (ANZgene inc Broadley S), Rubio J, Butzkueven H (2010) Multiple sclerosis susceptability-associated SNPs do not influence disease severity measures in a cohort of Australian MS Patients. PLoS One 5(4):e10003.
- Gandhi KS, McKay FC, Cox M, Riveros C, Armstrong N, Heard RN, Vucic S, Williams DW, Stankovich J, Brown M, Danoy P, Stewart GJ, Broadley S, Moscato P, Lechner-Scott J, Scott R, Booth D on behalf of ANZgene (2010) The Multiple Sclerosis whole blood mRNA transcriptome and genetic associations inidicate dysregulation of specific T cell pathways in MS pathogenesis. Human Molecular Genetics 19(11):2134-2143.
- Ghali J, Allison D, Kleinig T, Ooi S, Bastiampillai S, Ashby D, Taylor J, Thompson P, Broadley S (2010) Serum elevations of Troponin T in acute stroke: what do they mean? Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 17(1):69-73.
- The Australia and New Zealand Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (ANZGene) (2009) Genome-wide scan identifies novel multiple sclerosis susceptibility loci on chromosomes 12 and 20. Nature Genetics 41(7):824-828.
- Stankovich J, Butzkueven H, Marriot M, Chapman C, Turbridy, N, Tait B, Varney M, Taylor B, Foote S, ANZGene, Kilpatrick T, Rubio J (2009) HLA-DRB1 associations with disease susceptibility and clinical course in Australians with multiple sclerosis. Tissue Antigens 74(1):17-21.
- Broadley S, Vanags D, Williams B, Johnson B, Feeney D, Griffiths L, Shakib S, Brown G, Coulthardt A, Mullins P, Kneebone C (2009) Results of a phase IIa clinical trial of an endogenous anti-inflammatory molecule, chaperonin 10, in multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis 15(3):329-336.
- Williams M, Broadley S (2008) SUNCT and SUNA: clinical features and medical treatment. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 15(5):526-534.
- Broadley S (2007) Could vitamin D be the answer to multiple sclerosis? Multiple Sclerosis 13:825-826 (Editorial).
- Broadley S, Jørgensen L, Cheek A, Salonikis S, Taylor J, Thompson P, Antic R (2007) Early investigation and treatment of obstructive sleep apnoea after acute stroke. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 14(4):328-333.
- Broadley S, Cheek A, Salonikis S, Whitham E, Chong V, Cardone D, Alexander B, Taylor J, Thompson P (2005) Predicting prolonged dysphagia in acute stroke: the Royal Adelaide Prognostic Index for Dysphagic Stroke (RAPIDS). Dysphagia 20(4):303-310.
Other published articles
Letter to the Editor
- International Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium; Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium 2, et al. Broadley SA etc (2011) Genetic risk and a primary role for cell-mediated immune mechanisms in multiple sclerosis. Nature. 476;214-219.
Current teaching areas
- Clinical skills related to Neurology
- Lecturing on subjects related to Neurology
- PBL tutoring
- Teaching of FRACP canditates within the Gold Coast Hospital