World Suicide Prevention Day in 2014 is significant because it marks the release by the World Health Organization of the World Suicide Report (PDF 3.65MB). The report follows the adoption of the Comprehensive Mental Health Action Plan 2013-2020 by the World Health Assembly, which commits all 194 member states to reducing their suicide rates by 10% by 2020.
The World Suicide Report is the most comprehensive, up-to-date record of the current status of suicide prevention internationally.
World Suicide Prevention Day, 10 September 2014
AISRAP will be hosting a Forum for World Suicide Prevention Day 2014 in Brisbane. Our event will be held on Wednesday, 10 September 2014 at
- The Greek Club, 29 Edmondstone St, South Brisbane QLD 4101
The cost for this event will be:
- $45 for full day attendance (8:00am - 4:45pm, includes morning tea and lunch) AND
- $10 for 'Get Connected' Networking Function following the event (5:30pm - 7:00pm, includes canapés, tea, coffee, juice. Cash bar provided).
- World Suicide Prevention Day Flyer
- World Suicide Prevention Day Program
- To register/pay, please click here
Some of the interesting presentations on the day, will include:
Emeritus Prof Ian Webster, Public Health and Community Medicine, University of New South Wales
The Place of Helplines in Suicide Prevention
Mr Alan Woodward, Executive Director, Lifeline Research Foundation
Connectedness between Prevention and Postvention, and between Survivors across the Globe
Mr Karl Andriessen, University of Leuven, Belgium; Board Member, PostVention Australia; co-chair of the International Association for Suicide Prevention Special Interest Group on Suicide Bereavement and Postvention
Lighting the Dark, Preventing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Suicide
Mr Troy Combo, Social & Emotional Well Being Workforce Coordinator for Southern Queensland, Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council
Someday We’ll Find it, the Rainbow Connection: Reducing LGBT Suicide by Promoting Social Inclusion
Dr Delaney Skerrett, Research Fellow, Australian Institute for Suicide Research and Prevention
Registration on the day will begin at 8:00am, with the event commencing at 9:00am.
The theme is "Suicide Prevention: One World Connected".
For more information about local and international activities:
- World Suicide Prevention Day 2014
- IASP World Suicide Prevention Day
- 2014 World Suicide Prevention Day: Facts and Figures
AISRAP gratefully acknowledges the support of: