M Natural Resources, PhD, Grad Dip Higher Ed
Darryl Jones is a behavioural ecologist working in the fields of urban ecology and wildlife management. He is especially interested in urbanisation and the way certain species are adapting to this process. He has long-term interests in megapodes (mound-builders), corvids and the implications of garden bird feeding.
- Field Ecology
- Animal Diversity
- Ecology and Conservation of Populations
- Daoud-Opit, S. & Jones, D. N. (in press). Guided by the light: Roost choice and behavior in urban rainbow lorikeets. Landscape & Urban Planning
- Martins, F.M.S, Dawson, D.A., Horsburgh, G.J. & D. N Jones (in press). The first microsatellite loci characterized in a megapode, the Australian brush-turkey Alectura lathami. Conservation Genetic Resources.
- McCaig T, Jones DN & Brown M. (in press). Exploring possible functions of vocalisations in the Torresian crow (Corvus orru). Australian Field Ornithology.
- Polak, T., Rhodes, J., Jones, D.N. & Possingham, H.P (in press). Optimal planning for mitigating the impacts of roads on wildlife. Journal of Applied Ecology.
- D’Alba, L, Jones DN, Badawy H, Eliason C & Shawkey, MD. (in press). Antimicrobial properties of a nanostructured eggshell in a bird with high risk of infection. Proceeding of Royal Society B.
- Jones D.N., H. Dekker & R. van der Ree. 2013. Road ecology in an urbanizing world. In: Road Ecology: A Practitioner’s Guide. (Eds. R, van der Ree, D. Smith & C. Grillo). Wiley.
- Jones DN & Pickvance J. 2013. Forest birds use vegetated fauna overpass to cross multi-lane road. Oecologia Australis 17: 42-51.
- Appleby, A, Smith, B. & Jones, D. 2013. Observations of a free-ranging adult female dingo (Canis dingo) and littermates’ responses to the death of a pup. Behavioural Processes 96: 42-46.
- Chapman R. & Jones, D.N. 2012. Synurbisation of Pacific Black Ducks Anas superciliosa in South East Queensland: the influence of supplementary feeding on foraging behaviour. Australian Field Ornithology 29: 31-39.
- Jones D.N. 2011. An appetite for connection: understanding the place of feeding in our relationship with birds. Emu 111: 1-7.
- Green, R. & Jones, D.N. 2010. Practices, needs and attitudes of bird-watching tourists in Australia. Sustainable Tourism CRC Monograph Series, Pp. 70.
- Jones, D.N. & Bond, A.R.F 2010. Road barrier effect on small birds removed by vegetated overpass in South East Queensland. Ecological Restoration & Management 11: 56-67.
- Warne, R.M., Jones D.N. & Astheimer L.B. 2010. Australian magpie Cracticus tibicen attacks on humans: territoriality, brood defence or testosterone? Emu 110: 332-338.
- Hourigan, C., C.P. Catterall, D. N Jones & M. P Rhodes. 2010. The diversity of insectivorous bat assemblages within a subtropical urban landscape. Austral Ecology 35: 849-857.