B Science (Engineering), PhD
Professor, Griffith School of Engineering
Prof. Bala has active experience in Geotechnical Civil Engineering in Deep Foundations, Earth and Earth Retaining Structures, Ground Improvement and Stability of Embankments and Excavations.
Current teaching areas
- Soil mechanics
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Advanced Foundation Engineering
- Indraratna, B., Sathananthan, I., Bamunawita, C., and Balasubramaniam, A. S. (2005). Chapter 2 - Theoretical and numerical perspectives and field observations for the design and performance evaluation of embankments constructed on soft marine clay. Ground Improvement-Case Histories (ISBN 0-080-44633-7), edited by Indraratna and Chu, 51-90.
- Indraratna, B., Rujikiatkamjorn C., Balasubramaniam, A. S. and Wijeyakulasuriya, V. (2005). Chapter 7 - Predictions and observations of soft clay foundations stabilized with geosynthetic drains and vacuum surcharge. Ground Improvement-Case Histories (ISBN 0-080-44633-7), edited by Indraratna and Chu, 199-230.
- Alasubramaniam, A. S., Bergado, D. T., Phienwej, N., and Oh, E. Y. N. (2005). "Deep well pumping in the Bangkok plain and its influence on the ground improvement development with surcharge and vertical drains". Ground Improvement (ISSN: 1365-781X), Vol. 9, No. 4, 149 – 162
- Balasubramaniam, A. S., Oh, E. Y. N., and Bolton, M. D. (2005). "The application of normality rule and energy balance equations for normally consolidated clays". Lowland Technology International, Journal of the International Association of Lowland Technology (ISSN 1344-9656), Vol. 7, No. 1, 1-12.
- Indraratna, B., Sathananthan, I., Rujikiatkamjiorn, C. and Balasubramaniam, A.S. (2005). "Analytical and Numerical Modelling of Soft Soil Stabilised by PVD incorporating Vacuum Preloading". International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, Volume 5, No.2, 114-124.
- Bergado, D. T., Balasubramaniam, A. S., Fannin, R. J. and Holtz, R. D. (2002): Prefabricated vertical drains (PVD) on soft Bangkok clay, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 39(4), 304-315.
- Balakrishnan, F. G., Balasubramaniam, A. S. and Noppadol, P. (1999): "Load Deformation Analysis of Bored Piles in Residual Weathered Formation", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 125(2), 122-131.
- Indraratna, B., Balasubramaniam, A.S., and Sivaneswaran, N. (1997), "Analysis of Settlements and Lateral Deformations of Soft Clay Foundations beneath Two Full-scale Embankments", International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Pergamon Press, Vol. 21, 1997.
- Long, P.V., Bergado, D.T. and Balasubramaniam, A.S. (1996), "Stability Analysis of Reinforced and Unreinforced Embankment on Soft Ground", Geosynthetics International Journal, Vol. 3, No. 5.
- Loganathan, N., Balasubramaniam, A.S., and Bergado, D.T. (1993), "Deformation Analysis of Embankments", ASCE, Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, August 1993.
- Balasubramaniam, A.S., Handali, S., and Wood, D.M. (1992), "Pore Pressure-Stress Ratio Relationship for Soft Bangkok Clay", Soils and Foundations, Vol. 32, No. 1, March, Pages: 117-131.
- Indraratna, B., and Balasubramaniam, A.S. (1992), "Development of Negative Skin Friction on Driven Piles in Soft Bangkok Clay", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 29, Pages: 393-404.
- Phien-wej, N., Pientong, T., and Balasubramaniam, A.S. (1991), "Collapse and Strength Characteristics of Loess in Thailand", Engineering Geology, 32, Pages: 59-72.
- Balasubramaniam, A.S. and Chaudry, A.R. (1980), "Deformation and Strength Characteristics of Soft Bangkok Clay", Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division, ASCE, Vol. 106, No. GT6, Pages: 716-720.