B. Eng (HHU), M.Eng (XUAT),Ph.D(UWA), OIA(ABI), MASCE,MIEAust
Senior Lecturer, Griffith School of Engineering
Dr Guo has active research interests in the fields of deep foundations (theoretical modelling of piles using thermodynamics, solid mechanics, soil plasticity, constitutive model, and advanced mathematics), beam-soil interaction (theoretical modelling for soil nail, anchors and pipelines under combined loading), ground improvement (stone column foundations, dynamic compaction, vertical drain, etc), slope engineering (pile-slope and -tunnelling interaction owing to soil movement). His work involves analytical, experimental and numerical approaches. It is sophisticated and fundamental to the development of the profession. Most of his work has direct applications in design, with some earlier work being written in design books.
Dr. Guo is a regular and very active reviewer for several international journals, such as Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, ASCE. U.S.A. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Canada; Computers and Geotechnics – An International Journal, U. K., and Canada; International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, USA, UK, etc; Journal of Zhejiang University, SCIENCE, P.R. China. Dr. Guo is an overseas editor of Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering; and an editor of GSP153 (American Society of civil Engineers publications), etc. He has been a member of a number of organising committees and reviewer for many international conferences. He is currently an assessor for Australian Research Council.
Current teaching areas
- Mechanics of Materials II
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Pavement Design & Technology
- Ground Improvement and Deep Foundations
- Guo, W. D. (2009), "Nonlinear behaviour of laterally loaded fixed-head piles and pile groups." Int. J. Num. & Analy. Methods in Geomechanics, Vol. 33, No. 7, 879-914.
- Guo, W. D. (2008), "Laterally loaded rigid piles in cohesionless soil.", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.45, No.5, pp.676-697.
- Guo, W. D., Chow, Y. K. and Randolph, M. F. (2007), "Torsional piles in two layered non-homogenous soil." International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, Vol. 7, No. 6, 410-422.
- Guo, W. D. (2007), "Nonlinear response of laterally loaded free-head pile groups." China Civil Engineering Journal, Vol 40, No.6, pp. 232-237.
- Ghee, E.H. and Guo, W. D. (2007), "Model pile groups in sand subjected to lateral soil movement." Proc. of the 13th Panamerican Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering.
- Qin, H. Y. and Guo, W. D. (2007), "An experimental study on cyclic loading of piles in sand." Proc. 10th ANZ Conference on Geomechanics, Brisbane, Australia, Vol. 1 pp. 544-549.
- Guo, W. D. (2007), "Nonlinear behaviour of laterally loaded free-head pile groups." Proc. 10th ANZ Conference on Geomechanics, Brisbane, Australia, Vol. 1, pp. 466-471.
- Parsons, R. L., Zhang, L., Guo, W. D., Phoon, K.K. and Yong M. (2006), "Foundation Analysis and Design - Innovative methods." Geotechnical special publication, No. 153, American Society of civil Engineers.
- Guo, W. D. (2006),"On limiting force profile, slip depth and response of lateral pile". An international journal of Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 33, 47-67.
- Guo, W. D., Qin, H. Y., and Ghee, E. H. (2006), "Effect of soil movement profiles on vertically loaded single piles." International Conf. on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics (ICPMG 2006), 4-6 August 2006, Hong Kong, pp. 841-846.
- Guo, W. D. (2006), "Settlement prediction of some vertically loaded pile groups." 10th East Asia-Pacific Conf. on Structural Engineering and Construction (EASEC-10), 3-5 August 2006, Bangkok, Vol. 4, 425-430.
- Guo, W. D. and Ghee, E. H. (2006), "Behaviour of axially loaded pile groups subjected to lateral soil movement." Foundation Analysis and Design, Geoshanghai, 6-8 June 2006, Shanghai, 174-181.
- Guo, W. D. and Qin, H. Y. (2006), "Vertically loaded piles in sand subjected to triangular profiles of soil movements." 10th Int. Conf. on piling and foundations, 31 May -2 June 2006, Amsterdam, paper no. 1371 (edited by Lindberg J., Bottiau, M. and VanTol, A.F.)
- Guo, W. D. and Zhu, B. T. (2005), "Limiting force profile for laterally loaded piles in clay." Australian Geomechanics, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp.67-80.
- Guo, W. D. (2005), "Limiting force profile and laterally loaded pile groups." 6th International Conference on Tall Buildings (ICTB-VI), 6-8 December, Hong Kong, 280-285.
- Guo, W. D. and Qin, H. Y. (2005), "Vertically loaded single piles in sand subjected to lateral soil movement." 6thInternational Conference on Tall Buildings (ICTB-VI), 6-8 December, Hong Kong, 327-332.
- Guo, W. D. and Ghee, E. H. (2005), "Response of axially loaded pile groups subjected to lateral soil movement - An expremental investigation." 6thInternational Conference on Tall Buildings (ICTB-VI), 6-8 December, Hong Kong, 333-338.
- Guo, W. D. and Ghee, E. H. (2005), "A preliminary investigation into the effect of axial load on piles subjected to soil movement." International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics, 19-21 September 2005, Perth, Australia, 865-871.
- Guo, W. D. and Zhu, B. T. (2005), "Static and cyclic behaviour of laterally loaded piles in calcareous sand." International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics, 19-21 September 2005, Perth, Australia, 373-79.