E-waste solutions projectThe purpose of this project is to assess Universities awareness of the problem, research best practices, and develop resources for IT staff to use in developing sustainable solutions in technology use. It is being funded by CAUDIT.12
E-waste at local government levelThe project surveyed various local governments in Australia to investigate the awareness of problem and the steps undertaken to solve them. The results are available upon request.
International research collaborations
- Centre for Business Relationships, Accountability, Sustainability and Society at Cardiff University, Wales, UK to look into implementing extended producer responsibility schemes for managing E-waste in Australia.
- University of Bangalore, India to look into managing the E-waste problem in Bangalore, the silicon valley in India.
- University of Aristotle, Greece to research into how current European E-waste regulations (WEEE) would help the Australian government to formulate e-Waste regulations in Australia.
- Several other international collaborations are being worked out at the present time e.g. China, Philippines, Sri Lanka.
- Gold Coast City Council to look into current state of play in the region with regard to e-waste and make recommendations to the Council on future management.
- Technology Waste Workshop held in Brisbane, Australia in October 2005. Attracted speakers from the government and industry with participation from various stakeholders.
- Herat, S and Wolski, M High-tech trash from our modern society, 17th WasteMINZ Annual Conference, Waste Management Institute of New Zealand, Rotorua, New Zealand, November 2005.
- Herat, S. and Karagiannidis, A. Need for Sustainable Management of Electronic Waste (e-Waste) in Australia, First International Conference on Environmental Management, Engineering, Planning and Economics, Skiathos island, Greece, June 2007.
- Davis, G and Herat, S. Managing Electronic Waste at Local Government Level in Australia, 22nd International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management, Philadelphia, PA USA, March, 2007
- Herat, S. Managing electronic waste in Australia, 6th International Electronics Recycling Conference, Hamburg, Germany, January 2007