Dip Teaching, GDip Health Science, M Health Science, Doctor of Philosophy
Senior Lecturer, School of Education and Professional Studies
Research expertiseDr Usher’s research interests include school and community health and physical education. His past and current research examines 21st century pedagogical approaches that engage the teacher/interventionists and the student/audience in the co-construction of meaning, value, and knowledge associated with school/community health education. He gives specific attention to modern communication technologies and how they are creating a paradigm shift surrounding traditional barriers of power and information dissemination. Other areas of research include medical education, general practitioners, the internet, WWW and Social Media applications. Current research includes online health information and the impacts of health websites on the general practitioner and e-health consumer relationship.
- Usher, W. (2012-2013). Health Faculty Early Career Researcher Grant Scheme. Investigating Modern Communication Technologies Throughout The University Ecosystem: Delivering Effective E-Health Knowledge Management And Social Capital Building In The 21st Century - $5,000.
- Usher, W. Dean's Faculty Publication Incentive Grant (2011). Faculty of Education - $1,500.
- Laakso, Green, Usher, James, Rowlands, Casey, Adams, Morris, Somerset, Muthukkumarasamy(2011 – 2013) ASI for Chronic Disease Prevention Innovation Grant 2011-2013. “Chronic disease self-management - Enabling healthy outcomes for Australians by exploiting Mobile Web Site Optimisation”. Griffith Health Institute - $100 000.
- Usher, W. Dean's Faculty Research Grant (2011). “Australia’s Health Consumers’ usage patterns associated with e-health communications: Internet, World Wide Web (Web1.0) and Social Media (Web 2.0) platforms. Faculty of Education - $4 000.
- Usher, W - An Empirical Study Investigating School Aged Adolescents and their Health Information Retrieval Using Web 1.0 and Web 2.0 (2011). Faculty of Health - $4 000.
- Griffith Teaching and Learning Grant (2010). “The Griffith Education Online Uni Navigator”. Dr Sorrel Penn-Edwards, School of Education and Professional Studies, Professor Michael Balfour, Dr Allan Edwards, Helane Fittell, Deborah Rossow, Dr Wayne Usher. Faculty of Education - $25 000.
- Primary / middle years curriculum - studies of society and the environment
- Senior geography curriculum
- Senior history curriculum
- Primary / middle years curriculum - health and physical education
- Senior years curriculum - health and physical education
- Primary / middle years curriculum – health and physical education / SOSE
- Primary years curriculum – advanced physical education
- Primary years curriculum – coaching pedagogy
- Editorial Board: Health Education Journal
- Editorial Board: Australian Journal of Public Health - CSIRO
- Usher, W. (under review, 2010). “Social Media and Health Care Delivery in the 21st Century”.
- Skinner, J. Edwards, A, Usher, W. (2012). Researching Sport Management. Sport Management Text. Managing the Business of Sport. Routledge.
- Skinner, J. & Usher, W. (2012). Professional Sport Leagues, Tours and Organisations. In WM, Li, E Macintosh, G, Bravo (Eds), International Sport Management, Human Kinetics.
Refereed journal articles
- Usher, W & Gudes, O (under review, 2014) Exploring the use of technology pathways to access health information in young adults: A Multi-Dimensional Approach.
- Usher, W & Anderton, A (under review, 2014) Teachers’ Perceptions About Factors Influencing The Implementation Of Smart Moves In Queensland State Primary Schools.
- Casey, L, Clough, A, Mihuta, M, Green, H, Usher, W, James, D, Rowlands, D, & Laakso, L (2014) Computer-Based Interactive Health Communications for People with Chronic Disease. Smart Homecare Technology and TeleHealth
- Rowlands, D.D. Usher, W., Laakso, L., McCarthy, M., Leadbetter, R., Ride, J., Casey, L., Greene, H., Morris, M., Muthukkumarasamy, V., James, D.A. (2013) An Automated Activity Monitoring System For Rehabilitation, Procedia Engineering.
- Usher, W., Laakso, L., James, D & Rowlands, D. (2013) The Connective Matrix Of Emerging Health Technologies: Cyber-Management Of People With Chronic Disease. International Journal of E-Health and Medical Communications, 4(3), 94 - 114.
- Usher, W (accepted, 2013) Utilising Web 2.0 Technologies In An Australian Higher Educational Setting; A Case Study of Griffith University, Gold Coast, Australia. Information and Knowledge Management. Vol 3, No 8.
- Usher, W, Too, L. (2013) E-Health Knowledge Management by Australian University Students. International Journal of Reliability and Quality E-Healthcare. Vol 1, No. 3, 43 – 58.
- Usher, W. (2012) The school is not a bubble; it is part of society: social media(Web 2.0) and 21st century school health education. Education and Health Journal.
- Usher, W. (2012) Transforming School Health Education in Australia: Enhancing the Student Experience through Social Media. Asia-Pacific Journal of Health, Sport and Physical Education. Vol 3, No. 2, 157-175.
- Usher, W. (2011). Australian Allied Health Professionals’ Social Media (Web 2.0) Adoption Trends. Australian Journal of Primary Health. 18(1) 31-41.
- Usher, W. (2011). EMPIRE and the Internet Prescription: technologies of control. Social Theory & Health. 34(4), 40 – 60.
- Usher, W. (2011). Australian Health Professionals’ Health Website Recommendation Trends. Health Promotion Journal of Australia. 22 (2), 134-41.
- Usher, W. (2011). Developing Policies For E-Health: Use Of Online Health Information By Australian Allied Health Professionals.; Health Information Management Journal. 40 (2), 1 – 22.
Refereed conference papers
- Gude, O & Usher, W (2013) A Multi-Dimensional Approach To Measure The Use Of Social Media Tools In Accessing Health Information: A Case Study Of Griffith University Students, Queensland, Australia. 21st ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2013) November 5-8, 2013 — Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Rowlands, D.D. Usher, W., Laakso, L., , McCarthy, M., Leadbetter, R., Ride, J., Casey, L., Greene, H., Morris, M., Muthukkumarasamy, V., James, D.A. An Automated Activity Monitoring System For Rehabilitation, submitted Procedia Engineering, APCST conference, 2013.
- Usher, W. (2012) Early 21st Century Practice Promotion and Health Care Delivery by Australian Allied Health Professionals: An Empirical Study into Social Media Applications. 10th Hawaii International Conference On Education (January 5 – 8, 2012). ISSN # 1541-5880.
- 2014 - 2015: Enabling chronic disease self-management by adopting cloud and smart phone based strategies.
- 2013 - 2014: The 2013 Snapshot of Physical Education in Australian Primary Schools. A collaborative research project (Griffith University & University of Canberra).
- 2013 - 2014: Investigating university students' mobile wireless communication technology and social media usage for accessing health information.
For a full list of Dr Usher's publications please visit his professional page here.